Frat members face possible eviction, but not charges

Although the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity avoided criminal charges for the marijuana and drug paraphernalia found at its house, the twelve occupants could be evicted for the illegal materials being found.

In a memoranda filed in the Athens County Court of Common Pleas Wednesday, Demetrios Prokos, landowner of the Pikes’ 12 N. College St. house, said he has the right to evict the Pikes for violating the illegal activity obligations of their lease.

Prokos said he still has the right to evict them for illegal drug activity, even though the Pikes have paid their rent.

When the Athens Police Department executed a search warrant at the Pike house, 16 pipes, one water pipe, one grinder, two bags of marijuana and one book were confiscated, according to a warranty inventory report.

No charges were pressed against the residents because it could not be proven that the marijuana and paraphernalia belonged to anyone in the house.

In February, Prokos filed an eviction case against the fraternity in the Athens County Municipal court because two tenets had not paid their rent for Spring Quarter. The two tenets “failed to timely tender their rental payments,” according to court documents.

The case was dismissed March 15 because the two tenets paid their rent to Prokos.

Eviction notices were then posted at the Pike house March 15 and 16 citing multiple illegal activities. Prokos said the illegal activity obligations on the lease can not be waived by the tenets paying their rent, according to court documents.

Prokos said that he has received numerous complaints from contractors, maintenance personal, the house proctor and law enforcement that there is ongoing illegal drug and alcohol activities.

He also said in court documents that he recently learned that one tenant, Trevor White, is facing a felony indictment for trafficking marijuana.

White is facing three counts of trafficking marijuana, according to court documents.

The court has yet to reach a decision on the eviction, and a preliminary hearing is scheduled for April 20 at 9 a.m.

ml147009@ohiou.edu