Golf: Both teams finish well during Easter weekend tournaments

Both Ohio golf teams picked up top 10 finishes during Easter weekend, which marked the first time both teams have done so in the same weekend during the spring season.

The women’s golf team finished the Lady Colonel Classic in sixth place.

The Bobcats dropped seven strokes Friday in the second round to finish with a 312, good for a tie for seventh place in the tournament. On Saturday, Ohio shot a 313 and sophomore Kara Brinkmann finished the tournament tied for seventh place.

The Mid-American Conference placed well with all five teams finishing within the top eight. Junior Sarah Tranelli said this match was a good test of the team’s ability, especially with the amount of competition from the MAC.

“I think it was a good chance to place ourselves around the MAC,” Tranelli said. “There were a couple other MAC teams there, so it was a good idea to see where we were and pace ourselves with a couple weeks coming into our MAC Championship series.”

The men’s golf team finished the NYX Hoosier Invitational in eighth place, its best finish of the spring season in stroke play events. Through the first two rounds of competition on Friday, the Bobcats were tied for fifth place.

Senior Paul Grauer shined through the first two rounds of competition for Ohio. His score of 67 in the second round beat his lowest career round by one stroke.

Ohio shot 15 strokes higher on Sunday than in Saturday’s second round. Despite the fall in the standings, Ohio coach Bob Cooley said there were some good areas in the team’s game after a long layoff. He said the course was tougher Sunday in terms of temperature and wind, which contributed to higher scores across the board.

“There’s some real bright spots, we’ve just got to make some corrections and get ready for Ohio State this week,” Cooley said

Grauer and junior Byron Firestone each tied for 25th with their scores throughout the match.

Ohio’s men and women’s golf will hit the links next weekend when the women participate in the Falcon Invitational and the men take part in the OSU Kepler Invitational. 

mk277809@ohiou.edu