Provided

Green artist to share tactics at museum

A mixed-media artist and accessories designer, who has sold her work to musicians such as Michael Jackson and Mick Jagger, will be coming to the Kennedy Museum of Art Thursday.

Tanya Thompson works with watercolor, feathers, beads, shells, acrylic, and charcoal; however, she said her favorite medium is pen and ink.

“My hands just flow and then my work appears,” Thompson said. “What inspires me is nature and I just open my eyes, look around, and think of all the things I can do with what’s around me.”

Thompson, who lives in Athens, has discussed and shown off her work internationally from her hometown of Chicago to Montreux, Switzerland.

“It’s always a pleasure to have a local artist present her thoughts to the art community through the museum,” said Maryann Gunderson, marketing and public relations manager for the museum. “Tanya’s art is truly evocative for its use of natural objects and color and we are pleased to hear her speak.”

At the talk, Thompson will show four of her pieces and talk about how she comes from a creative family.

“My art was encouraged by both of my parents,” Thompson said. “I also grew up in a family that was serious about recycling; I now make lovely things that come from found items and found objects.”

Gunderson said this “green” concept as it is applied to art should be very helpful to listeners at Thompson’s talk.

Thompson has also worked on numerous exhibits at the Multicultural Center at Ohio University.

“I really enjoy her work, I find her to be phenomenal,” said Winsome Chunnu-Brayda, associate director of the Multicultural Center. “I like the way she incorporates and uses various mediums, and how she’s not afraid of pushing the boundaries of arts. She embodies art and, if you see her, you can just look at her and tell that she is an artist. I love that about her.”

If You Go

What: Tanya Thompson

When: 5:30 p.m. Thursday

Where: Kennedy Museum of Art

Admission: Free

bc822010@ohiou.edu