NextGen upgrade aims to alleviate Internet woes

After nearly a month of Alden Library reaching its Wi-Fi capacity, Ohio University has finalized plans to implement a new wireless Internet system.

The Office of Information Technology’s next generation network upgrade, NextGen, is ahead of schedule and will be implemented at Alden Library, Baker University Center and Stocker Center April 30.

The upcoming improvements to OU’s network will accelerate students’ Internet connections up to 300 megabits per second. Students will no longer need to re-log in when they switch buildings located on campus.

NextGen will be implemented in every building on campus by the beginning of the 2012-2013 academic year, according to a previous Post article.

The Computer Services Center and the West Union Street Office Complex, formerly known as the HDL Center, first began piloting the NextGen service April 11.

“The testing for the first buildings went so well we saw no reason not to start earlier with the next three buildings,” said IT Communications Manager Sean O’Malley.

Some OU students, including Claire Abraham, a freshman studying business marketing, said they have struggled to get Internet access on campus recently and are looking forward to the upgrade.

“Sometimes on my computer the Wi-Fi doesn’t work and I can’t log on,” Abraham said. “It is extremely frustrating especially when I have something important to do.”

The wireless upgrade is part of OU’s $17 million NextGen Network Upgrade. Students will not have to pay additional fees because of the upgrade, O’Malley added.

The new wireless service will offer more coverage, more access points and a faster protocol for connecting, O’Malley said.

“I think that the upgrade sounds awesome,” said Emily DuGranrut, a sophomore studying journalism. “It gets annoying when I walk around a lot and have to log in every time.”

The Ohio network has not been upgraded since the campus-wide installation of wireless Internet in 1998.

The university-wide roll out of the new network will begin in June 2012, according to a university news release.

“It could take as long as a year and a half to get every location on all six campuses done,” O’Malley said.

In the meantime, students and faculty will be able to snag a faster connection in Alden Library, Baker and Stocker Center.

“I have had trouble logging on in Alden, especially with my Kindle and phone,” DuGranrut said. “Hopefully the upgrade will help.”

Students can bring their laptops, tablets, smartphones and other wireless devices to the Tech Depot between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. April 20 for a demonstration featuring a NextGen wireless access point. The OIT staff will also hold a question and answer session.

“I think people are going to love the new wireless,” O’Malley said. “I know I do.”

bc822010@ohiou.edu