OU to hire liaison to better explain student health insurance plan

While plans to revamp student health insurance are in the works, Ohio University might hire a new face for student healthcare just in time for the revised plan to take effect.

The new position will provide a healthcare liaison to help those students who have the university insurance plan to better understand the policy. If approved, the job will be posted as early as May, said OU Dean of Students Ryan Lombardi.

Lombardi said he hopes to have the position filled by summer to give the new employee time to adjust before the next academic year. He added that there is money in the university budget to hire the employee, though a proposed salary has yet to be decided.

“I was starting to hear more and more concerns from students about not understanding (the insurance plan) and wanting someone to advocate for them,” Lombardi said. “It felt like the right time to do this at the same time we’re switching over to the insurance plan.”

Lauren Mente, a graduate student studying nursing and public health and the senator for the College of Health Sciences and Professions, said she hopes the position is filled before the revised health insurance plan takes effect.

“We want somebody who is going to be an advocate for students and help them navigate the insurance,” Mente said.

Eric Anderson, a sophomore studying plant biology, said he is in favor of a liaison to aid students in understanding the policy. Though he does not use the student insurance, he said he does have trouble understanding his private insurance policy.

Mente said she specifically hopes to see the liaison work with the international population at OU to help them apply for insurance and understand the policy.

“There’s definitely been an expressed need from our constituents saying, ‘We don’t understand the health insurance,’ ” Mente said. “ ‘We need help to navigate the system.’ ”

Mente said Lombardi has plans to meet with Graduate Student Senate next Monday to discuss both the health insurance plan as well as the liaison position.

sg409809@ohiou.edu