Soccer: Returning players work on generating more offense

Ohio was not an offensive threat last year—that much is understood—but now the question is whether the Bobcats can increase their production this year after graduating eight seniors.

Last season, Ohio was out-performed by its opponents in most offensive categories. The Bobcats were outscored 30-16, partially because of an 8-0 season-ending loss to Toledo in the Mid-American Conference Tournament.

Coach Stacy Strauss wasted no time recognizing and trying to solve the problem. Half of Ohio’s eight-member recruiting class adds depth at forward, and Strauss said transfer Maggie Murnane has already brought an offensive boost.

The Bobcats will also depend on their returning players to put more balls in the back of the net.  

“Erin Schwenke, (Veronica) Rock and Cat Rogers have also improved their finishing and assisting production in this offseason,” Strauss said.

Schwenke, Rock and Rogers were also mentioned as team leaders through the early part of the spring season. Last season, the three juniors played in all 20 games. Schwenke led the group with six points and 1,184 minutes played.

Ohio’s chief offensive contributors last year were seniors. Toye Famodu’s services will be missed especially. The midfielder was one of two players to start every game, leading the Bobcats with five goals and two assists.

The team has worked on different tactics to help compensate for its losses.

“We've worked quite a bit on possession in the final third,” Strauss said. “This will remain a focus for the rest of the spring and will increase our dangerous chances in the fall.”

That will be a major focus when the team welcomes its newcomers during fall training camp. But Strauss said that some things, such as verbal leadership, will be harder to replace than others.

Defensively, the Bobcats are facing a similar obstacle. They will depend on a younger crew of players to take charge in the back.

“We will be quite young in the back and at defensive center midfielder with the loss of Remi Famodu, Kim Nordtveit, Lauren Burke and Sara Seitz,” Strauss said. “But again, the returning players are improving and gaining confidence in this off-season.”

Despite the loss of experienced players, Strauss said she was happy with the amount of options her team had on defense and was excited to watch the position battles develop during the off-season.

Incoming freshmen Leah Sandercock and Grace Campbell are expected to compete for a spot on the backline upon their arrival.

Goaltending is the only position Ohio did not address during recruiting season. Sophomore goalkeeper Mattie Liston will return, as will freshman Nicole Amari.

mm938910@ohiou.edu