Ohio’s Jenna Giusti swings during a game against Akron. The Bobcats lost two games to Ohio State in a doubleheader Wednesday. The team has lost nine in a row to the Buckeyes. (Julia Moss | Staff Photographer)

Softball: Bobcats fail to buck losing streak, drop doubleheader

The Bobcats entered Wed nesday’s doubleheader against Ohio State hoping to break a seven-game losing streak against the Buckeyes. Instead, they upped that streak to nine consecutive games.

Ohio lost the first contest 9-5 and the second game 13-3.

The Bobcats faced an early deficit in the first game and could never recover.

Freshman Lauren McClary pitched 4 2/3 innings, allowing two earned runs on four hits.

The Bobcats trailed Ohio State by only one run through the first two innings, but the Buckeyes broke things open in the third, plating six runs.

Freshman Kaylin Clarke entered the game to relieve McClary and was charged with four runs through one inning of work.

None of the runs were earned. Four Ohio errors led to six unearned runs for Ohio pitchers.

The Bobcats cut the deficit to four runs after striking for three runs in the fourth inning, thanks in part to a two-run homer from sophomore third baseman Alexandria Basquez.

Ohio picked up two more runs in the sixth on a home run from Lauren Gellerman, but only after surrendering two more to Ohio State in the bottom of the fourth.

Ohio State senior Mikayla Endicott, one of the premier pitchers in the Big Ten, gave up five runs on seven hits through 5 1/3 innings of work.

Endicott, known for her strikeouts, was able to fan only three Bobcat batters.

Despite the score, coach Jodi Hermanek said she was happy with the offense.

The Bobcats collected 13 hits and eight runs in the series and outhit the Buckeyes in the first game of the night.

“I felt like offensively, yeah, they were a good pitching staff, but I felt like we had a really good approach to the plan tonight and we stuck to it,” Hermanek said.

In the second game, Ohio drew first blood with two quick runs in the first inning. However, the early lead was short-lived as Ohio State scored seven runs in the bottom half of the first.

Junior Caitlin Colvin got the start for Ohio and allowed three earned runs.

Clarke followed by allowing seven earned runs in only one inning of work. After allowing 22 runs in one night, Hermanek said that the pitching staff needs to get stronger as a unit.

“We need to bring our training into play,” Hermanek said. “I felt like we relied a lot on Lauren McClary tonight. She’s been a go-to for us, giving us most of the innings of work throughout the season.”

Basquez, first baseman Raven King and catcher Adrienne Gebele each drove in a run for Ohio.

Ohio State first baseman Evelyn Carrillo had four RBIs in the game while Megan Coletta drove in three runs.

mk277809@ohiou.edu