Lauren Gellerman, who has hit 10 home runs this season, has helped Ohio win despite an overworked pitching staff. Gellerman also works with the pitchers from behind the plate as a catcher. Her home run tally is the second highest on the team. (Katharine Egli | Picture Editor )

Softball: Inconsistent pitching burdens record-setting team

Not only are Ohio hitters finding success against opposing pitchers, but they are also racing to outpace their own pitching.

The Bobcats have posted single-season hitting records while often struggling from the pitcher’s circle, and recently, they have gotten a lot of dings from their swings.

The Bobcats have a record of 7-3 in their last 10 games and have been launching the ball over the fence with ease, posting an astounding 14 home runs in the last six contests.

Ohio (23-26, 10-8 Mid-American Conference) is coming off an even weekend of play after splitting two series on the road against Central Michigan and Eastern Michigan. While the Bobcats did not continue their extraordinary scoring from previous games at home, the team is still confident with its ability to get on base and score.

In its last 12 games, Ohio is averaging six runs per game. But the team has barely edged out its competition with a 72-66 run advantage during that stretch.

“We have definitely been hitting well lately,” Ohio coach Jodi Hermanek said.

“While others are doing the same against us, I think that we can continue to win if we keep up our game. I want us to stop allowing multiple runs in an inning, and if we can do that then we will be fine.”

Pitching was one of the most notable hardships for Ohio in April. With only three pitchers on staff and a clear-cut ace in freshman Lauren McClary, innings have not been distributed evenly and have put a lot of stress on the arm of the freshman.

McClary (15-15) has already had a record-setting season. With 185 strikeouts in 191 innings pitched, she is second all-time on the Bobcats’ single-season strikeout list. She also holds a team-best earned run average of 3.48, despite allowing a combined 274 hits and walks.

Although pitching has been inconsistent lately, the Ohio hitters have done everything in their power to keep the team in the game. First baseman Raven King and catcher Lauren Gellerman have hit 11 and 10 home runs, respectively, and have both broken the previous single-season record.

That has counteracted the team’s league-worst 5.00 ERA.

“If we can get our own pitching under control, we will keep on rolling,” Gellerman said. “It’s been great to see us hitting so well, and with an offense like ours I feel that we are always in every game.”

The Bobcats have already hit a team-record 38 home runs this year, which has been a key to success, as the team is 15-8 when Ohio goes deep.

The Bobcats will face Wright State on the road Tuesday before returning home for their last four games of the season.

cl027410@ohiou.edu