Seniors Brooke Mogart and Alexis Joseph work together to tag out Northern Illinois's player Allyson Hecht on second base during the final inning of the double-header. The Bobcats won both games on Friday, 4-1 and then 9-3. Ohio also beat fellow MAC competitor, Western Michigan, in its second game of the day after falling short in the first game of the day on Sunday. (Julia Moss | Staff Photographer)

Softball: Ohio takes down MAC teams

Consistency was something coach Jodi Hermanek was striving for her team to achieve coming into the weekend. After three wins in four games against Mid-American Conference foes, she finally saw her team keep up the same intensity for multiple games.

Ohio (19-24, 8-6 MAC) played two doubleheaders this past weekend, the first against Northern Illinois on Friday and the second against Western Michigan on Sunday. Although each of the three schools have similar records, none of the teams were similar in style.

“We had a great Friday and Sunday,” Hermanek said. “Going 3-1 in your conference is a great weekend, and I’m proud of my team. We need to rest up for the games ahead, but overall it was very nice to see us play so well for an entire weekend.”

On Friday against the Huskies, the Bobcats jumped out to early leads in both games and held off comebacks by Northern Illinois to sweep the competition 4-1 and 9-3.

Ohio was led by Jenna Giusti, who hit a three-run home run in the first game and recorded three more hits in the second game to finish the series 4-for-6 at the plate with four RBIs. Catcher Lauren Gellerman also had a big day at the field for the Bobcats with three RBIs and two runs scored.

Northern Illinois was unable to produce any offense in either game, with only eight hits on the day compared to 23 from Ohio. The Huskies stranded nine runners on base during the short series.  

After a rainout on Saturday, Ohio was forced to play another doubleheader against Western Michigan (22-18, 8-6) on Sunday.

In the first game against the Broncos, the Bobcats were  unable to produce much offensively. Solid pitching from Western Michigan’s Meredith Whitney limited Ohio to four base runners. Whitney struck out 11 batters in her two-hit shutout.

The Bobcats’ starting pitcher Lauren McClary had not allowed a hit entering the top of the sixth inning, but in the sixth, the Broncos hit two home runs and scored four runs on five hits, which was all WMU needed to win, 5-0.

But the second game of the day was a different story as McClary occupied the circle once again. Ohio had the big inning this time, with four runs in the fourth.

Although they only recorded three hits in the game, the Bobcats loaded the bases in the fourth inning. After pinch hitter Adrienne Gebele was hit by a pitch, Dakota Pyles hit a two-run double to give McClary all the run support she needed in the 4-0 victory.

“I felt that offensively we came through in the second game and took advantage of some miscues and were able to end the weekend on a high note,” Hermanek said. “Lauren (McClary) pitched great today, considering she pitched all but one out. She is getting stronger and stronger.”

McClary (12-14) was the workhorse of the Ohio pitching staff on the weekend. She pitched 26 2/3 innings of 28 total in the four games, striking out 22 batters on her way to picking up all three of the winning decisions for the Bobcats.

With only nine earned runs allowed, McClary’s ERA now sits  three, which is the best on the team.

“I came out, and although hitting my spots is always a big deal to me, I was more confident and focused than normal,” McClary said. “Overall, I thought I went out and attacked all weekend and need to continue to do so on Tuesday.”

cl027410@ohiou.edu