Ohio's Veronica Rock kicks the ball past Eastern Kentucky players during the Bobcats' game against Eastern Kentucky at Chessa Field on April 21. Ohio defeated Eastern Kentucky 3-1. (Brien Vincent | Staff Photographer)

Spring Sports: Soccer and Volleyball aim for weekend victories

Spring action continues this weekend when the volleyball and soccer squads play matches away from home. Both teams are hoping to build off of recent success. 

Soccer

Ohio will play its first away game of the spring season on Saturday when the team faces Cincinnati.

In past games, the Bobcats have earned mixed results. The team has been shutout once, but it comes into the weekend after winning a 3-1 decision against Eastern Kentucky.

Offensive production has been a primary focus for the team since the beginning of the offseason. Coach Stacy Strauss said she believes Ohio’s attack has improved, but is still not to the point where it needs to be for the fall.

“Our speed of play, recognition of space and movement off the ball…and execution of passes in the final third can still improve,” Strauss said.

After losing loads of talent in the midfield, the Bobcats have responded well to adversity. Strauss specifically mentioned the quality play of rising-seniors Cat Rogers and Erin Schwenke. Schwenke, formerly a forward, has been a welcome addition to a part of the field the Bobcats are trying to restructure.

“With different players having an opportunity to play, the overall cohesiveness of the group is still improving,” Strauss said.

Movement off the ball has been stressed in all parts of the pitch, but perhaps the most important area for off-ball movement is in the back. The Bobcats are still trying to solidify a strong defensive core.   

This weekend’s contest will be another test for the back line as it tries to shut down a hungry Bearcat offense. Cincinnati is scoreless in its past two contests.         

Volleyball

The Bobcats will enter Saturday’s match against Northwestern with momentum from their first victory of the spring season. Last weekend, the squad won four straight sets against Marshall.         

Ohio’s win signified a sign of improvement from the team’s struggling attack.

The Bobcats continued to receive contributions from individuals, but the key was a more balanced approach from the offense. Ohio became more of a threat in the middle and right side of the court.

“What I’m looking for is for us to compete hard,” coach Ryan Theis said. “I just want us to be a little more aggressive in our offensive approaches.”

Aggression was a key component in Theis’ recap of the first half of the spring season. While the team has the skill to string together points, the Bobcats would still like to improve their total body of work.          

On defense, the team wants to work on its play on the front line. The Wildcats, a Big Ten team, will undoubtedly challenge Ohio.

“I want us to close the blocks, we can get better at that,” Theis said.

Up Next:

Soccer

Ohio at Cincinnati

Volleyball

Ohio vs. Northwestern in Muncie, Ind.

mm938910@ohiou.edu