Student Senate sheds "negative light" on tuition hike with resolution

Ohio University's Student Senate has taken a stance on the potential tuition increase.

The senate passed Resolution 1112-36, a resolution pertaining to the proposed 3.5 percent tuition and fee increase, at their meeting Wednesday.

The resolution states that the senate views any tuition increase in negative light.

“No student likes tuition increases,” said Christopher Wimsatt, a senior studying political science and treasurer for senate. “The resolution cites that this (the increase) wasn’t on our radar until it was too late to make a fuss anyway and I think passing the resolution is a step forward.”

The senate unanimously voted in favor to pass the resolution.

“It is our right as students to know about tuition increases,” said Evan Ecos, senate’s residence life commissioner. “I am pleased with the resolution.”

Senate President Kyle Triplett said that it was important that the resolution passed.

By Friday, OU's Board of Trustees will have made its decision whether or not to increase tuition. 

“Students are struggling with tuition and it’s important to let the administration know how we feel,” Triplett said. “We need to keep costs away from students and I think they (administration) could have certainly came to us earlier.”

Senate also discussed the importance on educating students on matters like the tuition increase.

“I really think that what we need to focus on is educating students on the budget and lowering tuition,” city and county affairs commissioner Mary Kate Gallagher said.

One solution, according to Triplett, is for the university to have more open budget forums.

“I think that extra forums would certainly help and I would really like to see more of them,” Triplett said.