Track and Field: 'Cats 1st home meet of season brings wins in six events

Editor's Note: This story has been edited to reflect a correction. This weekend was Ohio's first, but not only, home meet of the track season.

The Bobcats won six of their 20 events and finished second of two schools at their first home meet of the season on Saturday.

Ohio finished 24 points behind Marshall at the Women's Team Challenge and Men's Distance Open.

"We had some good performances in some events and some events I think we fell short," Ohio coach Clay Calkins said.

Overall, the throws gave solid marks across the board with a handful of other winning events.

Freshman Janiece Rose finished first in the shot put with freshman Donyelle Brown finishing right behind her.

Brown also took home the hammer toss with a personal-best throw of 48.21 meters while senior Brianna Allen placed fourth with a season-best toss of 45.11 meters.

Senior Hope McCarty placed second in the javelin throw with a season-best toss of 37.17 meters while sophomore Olivia Vitou threw a personal toss of 34.75 meters to take third. 

In other events, Ohio took the top two sports in the pole vault with junior Jaimie Cavinee finishing with a season-best clearance at 3.05 meters, and freshman Rachel Arnott following right behind her by matching her personal-best mark of 2.90 meters.

Junior Alexis Geiger also recorded a season best in the long jump and took second while freshman Morgan Overbey took fourth in her first event in a Bobcat jersey.

In the distance events for the day, two 'Cats finished on top. McCarty won the 800-meter race with a personal-best time of two minutes and 14.58 seconds.

Junior Erin Gale won the 1,500-meter race and gained a personal-best time of 4 minutes and 54.41 seconds with junior Emily Skidmore talking and a season-best mark in the same event.

Senior Courtney Weiss won the 400 hurdles in one minute and 3.19 seconds.

"It was a good stepping stone to lead us into tougher competition," distance coach Mitch Bentley said. "It's always good to have a little bit of a down week."

Athletes who qualified for certain times in their respective events will travel next week to Ohio State for the Jesse Owens Classic.

"There's room for improvement across the board, and we hope it can happen at the upcoming events," Calkins said. 

nb155607@ohiou.edu

Quick Stats

- Hope McCarty placed second in the javelin throw with 37.17 meters.

- Olivia Vitou took third in javelin with a throw of 34.75 meters.

- Courtney Weiss won the 400 hurdles with a time of 1:03.19.

- Erin Gale won the 1,500-meter race with a personal-best time of 4:54.41.