Ohio's Lexie Hartnett spikes the ball during the Bobcats' match against Ohio State at the Convocation Center. Ohio fell on Saturday to OSU with a final score of 3-1. (Brien Vincent | Staff Photographer)

Volleyball: Ohio drops spring season opener

Before Ohio’s scrimmage against Ohio State began Saturday night, captains from both teams approached the net for a game of rock, paper, scissors to determine the opening serve. Ohio won with paper, but luck didn’t carry into the ensuing sets as the Buckeyes emerged victorious.

Ohio State had a clear height advantage over the Bobcats, which meant Ohio was blocked at the net early and often. But after making quick alterations to their game, the Bobcats started to roll.

Then, at set point, Ohio proved its ability to adjust as it faked a spike and punched the final point into the back-right corner of the court for the 25-19 win.

In the next set, Ohio State was the team making modifications to its game. After sloppy play in the first set, the Buckeyes started to catch stride in the second. Ohio State pounded its way to a 25-18 victory behind a slew of heavy spikes.

After changing sides and a brief break for hydration, the battle had truly begun. Both teams had a set under their belts and were two away from notching their first match victory of the spring season.

The third set was highly contested with each team offering its share of diving digs and stellar saves. But Ohio’s back line began to crumble, and Ohio State started to take advantage. Once the ball had passed the Bobcats’ front row, they seemed defenseless.

The back-and-forth set eventually ended with the Buckeyes grabbing a 25-23 victory. 

Since Ohio needed a win to prolong the match, it began trying different formations.  Despite the changes, the Buckeyes continued to pick away at the Bobcats.

As the game wore on, serves became a problem for both teams. Ohio could not find the right range, as the team continued to send balls over the heads of Ohio State’s back line.

The Buckeyes were finally able to lock down their game and finish the Bobcats in the fourth set.

Ohio will continue its spring season on April 14 at the KIVA College Tournament in Louisville, KY.

mm938910@ohiou.edu