'Wear Blue' campaign focuses on child abuse prevention

Today, Athens County Children Services is banking on blue to help raise awareness of child abuse and neglect in the county.

The agency, along with 87 other child-welfare agencies throughout the state, is engaging in “Wear Blue to Work Day,” a campaign designed to spark conversation about child abuse in the community.

“Our goal is to get as many people as we can thinking and talking about child abuse in one day,” said Sherri Oliver, spokeswoman for Athens County Children Services. “It’s an opportunity to talk to community members about what it looks like and how important it is to prevent it.”

Nearly 2,000 Athens County professionals signed up to wear blue, and Children Services plans to spread the word by posting pictures of participants on its Facebook page, Oliver said.

“We want to show the community that we have a very large and diverse group of people committed to preventing child abuse,” she said. “People coming together for one common goal is a really strong message to send.”

Oliver said in recent years, the agency has seen an increase in the number of serious abuse and neglect cases throughout the county. In 2011, she said the agency received almost 1,375 calls reporting suspected cases of child abuse and neglect.

“(Child abuse) is a complex issue, and there are a lot of factors that lead to it,” she said. “But the more people know, the more empowered they are to step in and prevent it from happening.”

The day is only one installment in an array of awareness events in April, which Ohio Gov. John Kasich has declared Child Abuse and Neglect Prevention Month.

Children Services also will hold family strengthening workshops and the annual Kidfest April 29, Oliver said.

Athens is not the only county working to spread the word. Child-welfare agencies throughout the state have joined in the awareness campaign by hosting events focused on strengthening and educating families, said Kristen Rost, interim executive director of the Ohio Children Trust Fund.

“(Child abuse) is not this big problem we can’t solve,” she said.

The month’s goal is to highlight that child abuse is preventable and that everyone in the community is responsible for combating it, Rost said.

“If we can build strong families and strong communities, our children will grow up to be healthy,” she said. “A kind word might make all the difference.”

Rost added that volunteering to help watch kids, run errands or do other tasks that alleviate stress for parents could help decrease child abuse. She also said that teaching younger parents about youth development and how to connect with children would be beneficial.

Even after the month is over, child abuse should still be a topic of discussion throughout the country, said Deborrha Armstrong, spokeswoman for Franklin County Children Services.

“We’re just trying to let people know that there are children that are hurting and that it takes all of us to be the eyes and ears of the community,” Armstrong said.

A small change in a child’s life could make a difference, she said, adding that everyone can, and should, make an effort.

“Any time is a good time to remind the community that there are children in trouble,” she said. “All of our children, no matter where you live, need to be protected.”

kg278810@ohiou.edu