Kelly Latimore of Good Earth Farms leads a procession with incense while Bishop Tom Breidenthal reads a passage from the Bible. Bishop Breidenthal blessed the site of a new chapel on the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway before construction officially began. (Julia Moss | Staff Photographer)

Farmers to build "sanctuary"

The Hockhocking Adena Bikeway will soon have a new attraction at the 5.5-mile marker, as a new chapel being built by Good Earth Farms broke ground on Saturday.

Farm founder Paul Clever has long intended to build a chapel, said Brad Modlin of Good Earth Farms.

“(The Clevers) have based a lot of their lives off of prayer, off of the monastic, or monk, way of life,” Modlin said.

The chapel will be available for use by the Common Friars, a monastic order associated locally with the Church of the Good Shepherd, and by those using the bike path in search of a quiet sanctuary, Clever said.

The first step of construction was clearing a walkway leading from the chapel to the bike path.

“We cleared a path Saturday so that people can walk off of the bike path directly to the sanctuary so that they can have a quiet place where they can reflect,” Modlin said.

Good Earth Farms grows and donates more than 10,000 pounds of food to local food pantries a year, Clever said, adding that the farm is closely associated with the Church of Common Friars.

“Some of (the friars’) ideals are praying on the divine hours each day, as well as pushing yourself to continue studying theology,” Clever said.

Clever is unsure of the project’s price tag but is confident that it will be cost-effective.

“Ultimately, it’s our goal just to get the basic structure up and put the roof over it. It’s an open-air structure, not terribly costly,” Clever said.

One strategy that will be used to build will be “earth bags,” or burlap sacks of dirt, to wall in the courtyard entrance.

“They are very resourceful at this farm,” Modlin said. “It’s a very cheap and affordable way to build, and this method is used in many Third World countries. By trying not to be materialistic and share, it leads them to be more resourceful.”

As of now, the chapel project is the main focus of the organization, along with day-to-day maintenance of the farm, Clever said.

Lena Chapin, a graduate student studying journalism, was a part of the volunteer effort, helping out the Good Earth Farm at the groundbreaking.

“I thought that they are good people I could help out. I thought it would be a fun way to spend a Saturday with people who enjoy the things I do, like being out in nature,” Chapin said.

as299810@ohiou.edu