Fest arrests down, OU percentage up

Although there were almost 30 percent fewer arrests during last weekend’s Palmer Place and Palmer fests than at last year’s parties, Ohio University students made up about half the partiers who ended up in cuffs.

Athens Police officers and undercover agents with the Ohio Investigative Unit made 124 arrests this weekend, down from 159 arrests last year, according to documents obtained from the departments.

At least 61 of those arrested last weekend — roughly 49 percent — were Ohio University students.

Others arrested included students from Ohio State University, Nothern Kentucky University, Hocking College, University of Cincinnati and Columbus State Community College.

In total, Athens Police made 45 arrests — 17 at Palmer Place Fest and 28 at Palmer Fest — while the investigative unit made 79 arrests — 30 on Friday and 49 on Saturday.

“It’s not unusual for (the Ohio Investigative Unit) to have more arrests than Athens Police,” said Julie Hinds, spokeswoman for unit, in a previous interview.

Athens Police Chief Tom Pyle said festgoers at Saturday’s Palmer Fest were larger in number and rowdier than last year, which might have contributed to the riot evacuation of thousands of partiers after a fire broke out at 11 Palmer St. at about 7 p.m.

The most common charges for the weekend were underage consumption and public intoxication. Other charges include disorderly conduct, resisting arrest, obstructing official business, possession of marijuana, possession of paraphernalia, provided alcohol to an underage person and having false identification, according to arrest documents.

Officials from Athens and the university met Monday to discuss Saturday’s events and the future of fests in the city. The officials determined that Mill Fest, slated for May 12, will continue as planned.

“We’re planning for the worst and hoping for the best,” Athens Capt. Ralph Harvey said. “What we have to do depends on what the people at the fests do.”

rc348710@ohiou.edu