Graduate Student Senate: Members add 4 health benefits after 2-hour debate

About 50 people packed Monday’s Graduate Student Senate meeting to speak out for and against four additional benefits that will be present in next year’s health insurance policy.

After almost two hours of discussion and debate, GSS passed resolutions for the inclusion of the new health care coverage benefits including travel immunizations, transgender health care, removal of exclusion for drug- and alcohol-related injuries, and the hiring of a student health insurance advocate.

The university has chosen to remain with health insurance provider United Healthcare through the 2012–13 academic year.  The revised plan features a maximum benefit of $2.5 million, which covers all upfront prescription costs and preventative checkups.

The new benefits will add an additional $53 to the previously set premium prices, raising the price to $1,341 for students. The cost of spouses’ premiums will drop from $2,762 to $2,635, and the cost of children’s premiums will fall from $1,563 to $1,512.

The maximum coverage benefit will rise from $50,000 to $2.5 million per person, and the prescription benefit will rise from $1,000 per year to $2.5 million.

Students from all sectors of the Ohio University community, including international and LGBT students, were present to voice their personal concerns regarding each benefit.  

International students were concerned about the additional costs associated with the benefits, noting that they are unaffordable for a large percentage of the international student community.

In an effort to ease those concerns, GSS President Tracy Kelly noted that the senate has been working on a fee waiver for international students so they can choose whether they want to pay for the additional benefits.

“We have to think about the whole population, not just these small groups, because everyone at Ohio University is affected,” said Tynita White, the commissioner for African-American affairs and unopposed GSS presidential candidate.

Despite the controversy over the cost, all four benefits will be present in next year’s policy.

“We’ve been working very hard on this development, and Tynita would like to see this accomplished in her administration next year,” Kelly said.

The removal of exclusion for drug- and alcohol-related injuries generated varying responses from GSS members and students. The current policy does not cover any drug- or alcohol-related injury, leaving students at risk of being denied treatment if intoxicated at the time of injury.

Students are now guaranteed medical attention because of the inclusion of the clause. Some graduate students, however, were concerned about being liable for the costs when they believe the benefit mainly benefits the undergraduate community.

“This concerns me a lot because a lot of graduate students don’t drink,” Minority Affairs Commissioner Tatiana Puscasu said.

Nevertheless, the resolution was passed.

“This isn’t necessarily about behavioral extremes. It could happen to anyone, so it does affect your life,” Kelly said.

hm156809@ohiou.edu