Green & White Club to disassemble June 30

Update (3:05 p.m.)

The Green & White Club, which has served as an independent booster organization for Ohio Athletics since 1958, will turn over its existing funds to a new scholarship program when it dissolves June 30.

Student managers and trainers — not student-athletes — will be the beneficiaries of the program. 

Green & White Club president Lou Horvath

was unable to say the exact amount of money that remains in the organization's possession, but did say that it was "less than $50,000."

The awards will be given under the name "Green & White Legacy Scholarship."

The organization's membership fell to 162 this year, a fraction of the 1,000-plus members it saw around the turn of the century. 

_____

Update (10:28 a.m.)

confirmed via email this morning that the organization will fold at the end of next month. 

_____

Update (10:12 p.m.)

Ohio Assistant Athletic Director for Media Relations Tom Symonds

said that he has not been informed of any news regarding the Green & White Club.

_____

The Ohio University booster group, the Green & White Club, will dissemble June 30, as initially reported by Athens Messenger reporter Jason Arkley

.

The nonprofit organization announced the news to its members at its annual dinner at Abrio’s

Tuesday evening.

The Green & White Club states its goals as promoting excellence and sportsmanship in competition, building an ever-growing relationship between the Ohio Athletic Department and the club’s members and contributing funds to the department itself.

To become a member of the club, one must already hold a membership in the Bobcat Club, Ohio’s fundraising group.

With the Green & White Club’s dissolution, the Bobcat Club will be the department’s only booster organization. It was established in 2006 and provides scholarships and team equipment to student-athletes, while also financing larger, donation-based projects.

Ohio Senior Associate Athletic Director for Development Jim Harris did not return an immediate request for comment.

Follow @ThePostSports

for continued coverage of the Green & White Club’s disbandment

.

jr992801@ohiou.edu