Moms bring support for gay marriage campaign

For Freedom to Marry Ohio’s “Court the Vote” campaign and its volunteers, the influx of moms Saturday meant a significant bevy of potential supporters.

The movement and its volunteers kicked off a statewide petition-signing endeavor in Athens Saturday and will be travelling to the other 87 Ohio counties in the coming weeks.

Stephen Letourneau, organization volunteer, said the effort began in Athens because of its pro-freedom past.

“In 2004, Athens was the only county that voted against (the Defense of Marriage Act),” he said.

According to the law, a marriage is defined as a union between a man and a woman.  Any union between those of the same sex in Ohio was deemed to have no legal weight, according to the Freedom Ohio website.

“We were supposed to be out here last weekend,” Letourneau said. “But with this being Moms Weekend, we saw an advantage.”

The volunteers were on the corner of Court and Washington streets and collected signatures from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m.

“It’s nice to see mothers step up and sign,” Letourneau said. “Of course, they want their kids to marry whoever they want.”

Ian James, domestic partner of Letourneau, said residents of Athens are generally welcoming and that traffic and interest throughout the day had been steady.

Chelsea Hindenach came from the Plains with her young son.  

“I came down to sign the petition because I think anyone who loves each other should be able to get married,” she said.

While the Athens community had a presence, most interest came from students’ moms.

Kimberlee Dorne, mother of freshman Sara Dorne said she and her daughter support the movement.

“Love is love,” she said.

sm366909@ohiou.edu