Ohio holds strong upper hand over opponents in MAC

In a year that saw several programs reach new heights, Ohio athletic teams improved in their overall performance against Mid-American Conference opponents.

The Bobcats posted a collective 126-95-2 record against MAC foes this season. That record includes all head-to-head matchups against conference opponents and relative finishes to other teams during MAC championships such as cross-country, golf and wrestling. For example, Ohio’s third-place finish in the MAC men’s golf championships counted as a “win” against each team that finished fourth or lower.

The field hockey and men’s basketball Bobcats posted the highest winning percentages among all Ohio teams. The field hockey squad went undefeated and won a MAC title on its home turf, while men’s basketball finished the season 14-5 against MAC opponents.

“This past season was one of the finest years in the history of Ohio University Athletics, both on and off the field,” Ohio Athletic Director Jim Schaus said in a statement. “The hard work put in by our student athletes over the past year truly paid off. Their success is a testament to the leadership of our head coaches, who help our student athletes achieve the highest level of excellence.”

Of all their conference foes, the Bobcats had the best luck against Bowling Green during the 2011–12 season. They posted a 17-6 record against the Falcons, and every Ohio team that played Bowling Green notched at least one win against their brown-and-orange counterparts.

Meanwhile, the Bobcats had the most trouble against another opponent just a few miles north of Bowling Green. Toledo had Ohio’s number this season and won 11 of the teams’ 18 contests. The Rockets were especially dominant in women’s sports, where they went 8-3 against the Bobcats.

Toledo recently won its first Jacoby Trophy, given to the best overall MAC women’s athletic program.

“This is a tremendous milestone for our program,” Toledo Athletic Director Mike

O’Brien said in a statement. “The student athletes and coaches in our women’s programs have truly earned their recognition as the best in the Mid-American Conference. We are extremely proud of everything they have accomplished and congratulate them for this historic achievement.”

On the men’s side, Kent State had the upper hand against Ohio teams. The Golden Flashes amassed an 8-2 mark against the Bobcats, including three wins in baseball and a season split in men’s basketball.

Kent State won its fourth-straight Reese Trophy as the most successful MAC men’s program. Ohio placed third in the Reese standings and finished fourth for the Jacoby.

ms229908@ohiou.edu