One Voice: women helping women

Ohio University students won’t have to look far this weekend for a fun and mom-friendly event.

Friday, Sigma Alpha Iota will host One Voice, a night of music performed by women for Moms Weekend.

SAI is a women’s fraternity that promotes interaction among those who share a commitment to music. Members are active in various areas of campus music and life, working closely with faculty, administration, campus and community groups, music professionals and patrons, according to the group’s website.

One Voice has become an annual fundraiser that features performers and artists. The event features individual and group performances by women exclusively.

The event is deliberately being held on Moms Weekend, something that Taryn Schirmer, music chair for SAI, said makes the event more special.

“Dates have frequently been changed,” Schirmer said. “SAI likes to keep it during Moms Weekend to incorporate more women and the celebration of the arts.”

This year’s evening features ten performances with everything from vocals to spoken word. In the past, One Voice usually featured solo vocals and instrumental performances, Shirmer said.

“SAI encourages all forms of art to be performed at the One Voice event,” Shirmer said. “This year we will be having music, spoken word and a caricature artist. SAI also asked two of OU’s all-female a cappella groups, Tempo Tantrums and Title IX, to perform.”

There will be a raffle in addition to the performances and caricature artists.  All proceeds from the event will benefit My Sister’s Place, a shelter that helps female survivors of abuse.

The cause is something that the group feels that they, as an all-women fraternity, consider important, said Kristin Ferguson, a member of SAI and a sophomore studying high school math education.

“It’s nice to see a music women’s fraternity not only having a chance for women to perform, but also helping My Sister’s Place,” Ferguson said. “It is great to see women helping women, especially doing it through music.”

In addition to the good cause, Mary Brandal, Webmaster for SAI, said that the event will be a fun night for the moms and daughters of OU.

“It will be a fun-filled evening of good performances,” Brandal said. “It's a relaxed setting where people can sit back, chat and enjoy a nice cup of coffee and a good show.”

IYGB:

What: Sigma Alpha Ioda presents One Voice

When: 9:30 p.m. Friday

Where: Donkey Coffee and Espresso, 17 1/2 W. Washington St. 

Admission: $2 pre-sale with raffle ticket, $3 at the door with raffle ticket

ks574510@ohiou.edu