Zach George, Reach

REACH rebuts claims of pro-admin leaning

One week before Election Day, a Student Senate ticket defended itself against accusations of not being student-oriented as candidates met to debate for a second time.

Presidential candidate Tony Koehling and vice presidential candidate Elizabeth Culp represented the yOU ticket. Presidential candidate Zach George, vice presidential candidate Amrit Saini and treasurer candidate Evan Ecos represented REACH. Also on the panel was independent presidential candidate Jared Henderson.

The debate, led by Board of Elections chair Kate Steven, consisted of 10 questions: seven from the board and three from the audience.

Things got hot when George was forced to rebut accusations that REACH was pro-administration.

“I’m going to set the record straight,” he said. “We are pro-student.”

Henderson said his main task is to stand up for students.

“I may not have the experience, but I have shown myself to be committed to student advocacy,” he said.

The board’s questions ranged from asking candidates about situations when they successfully exerted leadership to asking them what potential challenges they might face if elected.

Koehling said understanding time management skills would be his biggest challenge.

“I work on campus and I have a job with the football team, a volunteer position, but when you have these things you want to do plus academics, you have to prioritize,” he said. “I know I can commit to Student Senate as president.”

One audience-submitted question focused on budgeting and the student activities commission.

“It’s important to understand the budget, and I think I’m able to do this,” said Ecos, who is running uncontested.

Wednesday’s debate turnout of about 30 students in the Bobcat Student Lounge had a bigger setup than previous debates, Steven said.

“It took a little bit more time and thought to put it together, but I would like to know if people have any suggestions to make it better or run smoother,” she said.

bc822010@ohiou.edu