From left: Paige Howard, Mattie Liston and Cat Rogers of the Ohio University Women's Soccer team after practice on Wednesday. The Bobcat trio will be leading the charge next year after the graduation of their senior-heavy team. Rogers and Howard will be seniors next year, and Liston will be a junior. (Jesse Etsler | For The Post)

Soccer: Bobcats to remodel squad after 10 senior players graduate

It was a mucky Tuesday afternoon when the Bobcats began filtering into Peden Stadium for a midday practice. Field conditions forced the team to move from its normal practice site and the squad had to share the turf with the football team.

For a lot of teams, a soundtrack of complaints would accompany the inconveniences, but it was just another day for the Bobcats.

“There’s a lack of complaining and a commitment to do whatever is necessary to get better and improve,” coach Stacy Strauss said about her team.

The blue-collar work ethic is one that has defined Ohio this offseason. After finishing last year with an 8-0 loss to Toledo in the Mid-American Conference Tournament — and losing 10 seniors — the importance of hard work is not something the Bobcats have had trouble preaching or practicing.

“We’ve been really focusing on being the absolute hardest working soccer team we can be,” goalkeeper Mattie Liston said. “We’ve really prided ourselves on that.”

Leading the Bobcats are rising seniors Cat Rogers, Paige Howard, Veronica Rock and Erin Schwenke. Collectively, they are responsible for filling the shoes of the large graduating class.

“It’s a good group of seniors,” Strauss said. “From the time they were freshmen, they’ve been very focused and they’re some of the toughest kids on the team.”

Now, those seniors must reinvent the team’s identity. Rogers said the emphasis is not to replace players, but rather remodel a squad that allowed 30 goals but only scored 16 of its own.

“It’s almost like we’re starting fresh,” Rogers said. “Offense was an issue for us last year, so we definitely want to work on that. Also, we have to revamp our back line.”

Work off the field is just as important for the Bobcats. Rogers and Howard said the squad has already placed more emphasis on team bonding than before. And, between morning workouts and road trips, the Bobcats have plenty of opportunities to mesh.

The team welcomed eight new players to the squad, so teaching the underclassmen the ways of the program will continue to be a focus.

“When you bring in eight new freshmen, the team is whatever you make it,” Liston said.

Howard said last year’s newcomers are already making strides to take ownership of the team, which should help integrate the freshmen.

“I think our underclassmen have brought a new mentality to our team,” Howard said. “They work hard and don’t really say much. They just want to get the job done.”

Some players had difficulty fighting for playing time off the bench last season, but losing 10 seniors means plenty of positions are available in Ohio’s lineup.

Following huge changes to the roster, the dynamic of the team has completely shifted. Each player is eyeing a starting role, and even on a humid Tuesday in the midst of the offseason, there is no time to complain.

mm938910@ohiou.edu