Challah covers made through the collective efforts of Passion Works artists, Hillel at Ohio University students, and fiber artist Andrea Stern hang in Hillel’s gallery. The collaboration aimed to involve both Hillel members and Athens residents in a unique and fun activity. (Julia Moss | Staff Photographer)

Student cooks up new idea for bread covers

Challah covers are used to hide the bread for weekly Shabbat services in the Jewish religion, but for junior Morgan Blumenfeld, those covers gave her a different idea.

Blumenfeld, who studies special education, wanted to incorporate her major with her internship at Hillel. To reach this goal, Blumenfeld contacted Passion Works Studio and asked the studio to collaborate on a project.

Although Passion Works collaborates with many Ohio University groups, there were mixed emotions about working with a religious group, said Wayne Savage, studio coordinator for Passion Works.

“My only concern was that the challah covers were a religious symbol,” Savage said. “No one objected to the project, so we went through with it.”

Blumenfeld said she wanted to get Hillel involved with the community while doing something different and fun.

“It’s important, not only as college students, but as community members, to support each other,” Blumenfeld said. “This offers a way for everyone to participate in the beauty of the artists.”

Passion Works artists designed the challah covers, and students from Hillel helped to paint the covers throughout Winter Quarter. More than 25 covers will be sold on Saturday, and all proceeds will benefit Passion Works.

The artists added their own take to the covers depending on what inspired them.

Pam Cline, a regular artist at Passion Works, drew her inspiration from her and her mother’s home.

“There are flowers and trees and birds on the picture,” Cline said. “I liked working on the piece. I liked it a lot.”

In addition to selling the covers, there will be food, wine tasting and live music by OU School of Music students, and it’ll be “a great place to show your mom,” Blumenfeld said.  

The challah covers don’t have to just be used as covers, she added.

“It’s all art done by talented and wonderful people. It can be hung on the walls as decoration if someone wants to.”

ao007510@ohiou.edu