Student expo tops record with 620 participant total

Basketball season might be over, but that didn’t stop hundreds of Ohio University faculty and students from spending a few hours in The Convo Thursday.

The 11th annual Student Research and Creative Activity Expo attracted students of all ages and majors to present original research to a group of judges and onlookers.

“With a record number of students and judges, (the day was) a lot of fun with very high enthusiasm,” said Roxanne Male-Brune, the event organizer.

Students are categorized into sessions of about 10 people, and the first-place winner of each received a $200 award followed by $100 for second place, Male-Brune said.

Since its inaugural year in the former Baker University Center, the event has evolved from 45 participants to about 620 this year, awarding more than $20,000 divided among Thursday’s almost 70 sessions.

Multiple offices on campus sponsored the expo, including the Office of the President, the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost, as well as University Libraries.

Although the event is for students, Male-Brune has found it just as rewarding for the professors.

“It’s about student appreciation, and for professors to see their students take their knowledge from class and excel leaves them with a smile,” she said.

Although some students’ main focus is winning their session, many students come for both the experience and professional atmosphere, said Andrea Gibson, director of Research Communications and co-organizer of the expo.

“I’ve found it’s a great opportunity to practice presenting and prepare for more conferences in the years to come,” said Christopher McCleese, a sophomore studying chemistry.

An hour before the event opened up to the general public, local middle-school  and high-school students had an opportunity to tour the exhibits and speak with participants as part of STEM day, Gibson said.

“It’s designed to give them a sense of what students at OU do and a real sense of creative research and activities happening,” she said.

STEM day — standing for science, technology, engineering, and mathematics — is held every year to encourage youth to pursue a college education in the particular areas where there is need.

“It’s a great way to show prospective students what they can get involved with by coming here, while giving participants a chance to demonstrate and share their findings to a larger audience,” Gibson said. 

af234909@ohiou.edu