Track and Field: Ohio Open marks final regular season contest

With less than one week left before the Mid-American Conference Championships, the Bobcats make their final push of the regular season by hosting the Ohio Open Friday.

“We’re looking forward to a home meet — a relaxed meet — to get prepared for MACs next weekend,” distance coach Mitch Bentley said.

About a dozen teams will have athletes competing, including Ohio State, Marshall and Capital University, while some runners are competing unattached to qualify for national marks. Events begin at 2 p.m. with the shot put and concludes after 7 p.m. with the 4x400-meter relay.

“We want to have some solid performances,” throws coach Nick Pero said. “Do they have to be their absolute best and have a bunch of (personal records)? No, but we want to be pretty close so they mentally set themselves up for next week.”

Most of the athletes will be competing in the same events that they will be compete in next week for the MAC Championships. Some of the distance runners might use Friday as a tune-up meet instead and run in the 1,5000-meter race instead of the longest events.

“Next week, we leave on Wednesday for MACs, so it’s good they can concentrate on academics before we leave,” head coach Clay Calkins said about the advantage of hosting a meet at home.

Another advantage Calkins mentioned of having a home meet — besides sleeping in — is parents will be able to come. That can be especially important for the track-and-field athletes who will be competing in their final home meet.

The coaches are now just hoping the weather holds out after rain dampened last weekend’s meet in Hillsdale, Mich.

nb155607@ohiou.edu