Christopher Tarrant

OU student arrested, charged with felonious assault

An Ohio University student was arrested early Friday morning on a felonious assault charge stemming from an Uptown altercation near Buffalo Wild Wings.

Christopher D. Tarrant, 19, of Hamilton, Ohio, was arrested and charged with assaulting Evan M. Clark, 22, of Germantown, Ohio, according to a report from the Ohio University Police Department.

Bond is currently set at $20,000 dollars with a 10 percent allowed meaning $2,000 will release him from jail.

Tarrant practiced with the Ohio football team this spring as a walk-on running back, but he is not listed on the team’s roster. Tarrant, who is 5-foot-8 and weighs 190 pounds, caught the eyes of Ohio’s coaching staff with his speed and agility with the ball.

Tarrant allegedly assaulted Clark at 12:45 a.m. Friday on Congress Street near Buffalo Wild Wings. Clark sustained a serious right-eye injury, according to the report, and was transported to O’Bleness Memorial Hospital. He later was relocated to Grant Medical Center in Columbus because of the injury.

A Grant Medical Center spokesperson said that Clark was not at the hospital as of 2:45 p.m. Friday.

If convicted, Tarrant could face up to eight years in prison. He has been booked at the Southeast Ohio Regional Jail.

“Chris (Tarrant) a freshman student at Ohio University was one of 32 students, who took part in the winter conditioning tryout program," said Tom Symonds, Ohio's assistant athletic director for Media Relations, in a statement. "He was one of nine student-athletes who earned an invitation to spring practice with the hope of making the team. We are gathering more information on this matter and we have no further comment at this time.”

Jordan McDonnell, 21, also an OU student, witnessed the alleged assault and turned down a request for comment.

ms229908@ohiou.edu