OU to require wireless device registration

For some, wired and wireless network connections must be registered with OU’s Office of Information Technology on Thursday.

Required wireless device registration has opened for the first half of the Athens campus on Thursday. The second half of campus will be able to register on July 23 and regional campuses on July 25, according to an email from OIT.

All OU students, faculty and staff are required to register all printers, game consoles, computers and older model smartphones. Tracking agents and software will not be installed to any device as a result of the process, according to the email.

Those using a device with a web browser will be prompted to register upon accessing the network after the service is enabled.

Faculty and staff responsible for computer labs or large installations should contact the OIT service desk to register their devices.

OIT is also making several additional improvements to network access as a part of the NextGen wireless upgrade since adding Baker University Center and Alden Library to the network in April.

"I think people are going to love the new wireless," IT Communications manager Sean O'Malley said in a previous Post article. "I know I do."

Residence halls will be upgraded to NextGen in July, and academic buildings will follow based on the amount of network usage, according to an OIT email.

The network upgrade includes automatic login, building-to-building roaming and faster performance, according to the email.

The wireless upgrade is part of OU's $17 million NextGen Network Upgrade. However, students will not have to pay additional fees because of the upgrade, according to a previous Post article.

NextGen is now available in Baker University Center, Alden Library, Computer Services, Stocker Center and the West Union Street Office and is set to be completed by December 2013, according to the email.

hm156809@ohiou.edu