Mike Andrix, of Vinton, Ohio, sorts through starter plants while Noah Graves, 11, watches at the Vinton Street Farm tent. Noah’s grandfather, Roger Graves, has run a tent at the Athens Farmers Market for 14 years. The market celebrated its 40th anniversary in June. (Kyle Grillot | File Photo)

Take a walk to discover the hidden treasures of Athens

Most Ohio University students spend four years living in and around Athens, but not all explore every nook, cranny and opportunity the campus and city provide.

Incoming freshmen might not know some of Athens’ finer locations when they arrive for class in August, but older students were happy to impart their knowledge of some of the must-see places in town.

“I think every students should take at least one trip to The Ridges,” said Shaina Kass, a senior studying commercial photography and communication studies.

The Ridges is one of Athens’ most notable features. What used to be known as the Athens Lunatic Asylum is now used as classroom and lab space by the university and houses the Kennedy Museum of Art. 

“The museum has a permanent installation and hosts traveling exhibits, and it’s free to go to,” Kass said. “It’s a really beautiful place to go.”

Kass said she has visited its hiking and nature trails along with the Putt People First miniature golf course and outdoor challenge high ropes course. 

Amanda Pomerantz, a fifth-year senior studying integrated language arts education, said students should use their time in Athens to explore different parts of the city.  

“Do something local, like getting involved with something or going to an event, like the film festival, that’s uniquely Athens,” she said. “It’s easy to get into the routine of going to class and then going back to your dorm, but get involved and meet new people.”

Among the places Pomerantz hopes new students stop by are the Athens Farmers Market and the Village Bakery & Café, both places Kass has stumbled across in Athens’ neighborhoods.

“Take walks into the neighborhoods; I’ve learned a lot about Athens by taking walks,” Kass said.

Whether it’s ice skating at Bird Arena or catching a movie at the Athena Grand, Pomerantz hopes students learn about themselves while getting to know their new city.

“It’s important to check things out,” she said. “You’re not going to know unless you explore. A huge part of college is opening your mind and broadening your horizons.”