After months of renovation, Campus Care is emphasizing reduced patient waiting times and more accurate diagnoses. Some of the changes include scheduled clinics, extended hours for the Women's Health Clinic, confidential HIV testing, allergy testing five days a week and a language line to bridge language gaps between providers and patients. (Bethany Lilja | File Photo)

When health care scares, there's Campus Care

Among the list of tasks first-year college students have to conquer for the first time, hassling with doctor visits and knowing where to seek the best care is one of the most confusing.

Luckily, for those who will be relying on their feet as their main method of transportation, a student health center makes doctor visits accessible without the need of a vehicle.

Campus Care, located at 2 Health Center Drive behind Yamada House, offers walk-in appointments, scheduled appointments — which can be made online via Patient Portal — as well as free STI testing, including free HIV testing.

The health center recently underwent moderate renovations, giving a revamped look to its waiting room, additional patient rooms and a larger staff.

While the student health center has been known for notoriously lengthy waiting times, Tonya Burdette, the director of Campus Care, said the renovations were done as a way to help decrease waiting time.

Counseling and Psychological Services are available to students and are located on the third floor of Campus Care. The first appointment is a walk-in.

Each appointment after can be scheduled.

Students can also visit Holzer Clinic, 2131 E. State St., or O’Bleness Memorial Hospital, 55 Hospital Drive, for care as an alternative to Campus Care.

For students suspecting chronic allergies, Campus Care also offers allergy testing. Daryn Straley joined the Campus Care team last December as an allergy specialist.

Students seeking allergy treatment must make an appointment with a Campus Care provider to determine whether the student qualifies as a candidate for testing.

Students can also seek testing at Holzer Clinic; Christopher Clark, the allergist at Holzer Clinic, visits Athens once a week to treat patients.

For those needing to pick up prescriptions, the Campus Care pharmacy makes it an easy task. Students can also have medicine sent to CVS Pharmacy at 32 S. Court St. to pick up medication. Both pharmacies are within walking distance to students living on campus.

sg409809@ohiou.edu