Athens Republicans celebrate new headquarters

With campaign season in full swing and elections looming, the Athens County Republican Party readied itself with the opening of a new headquarters Friday.

The Athens County Republican Party headquarters is located on 20 Station St., next to the Oak Room Bar and Grill. The location will house offices, a meeting space and campaign materials.

Athens residents can visit the recently opened headquarters Monday through Friday between 12:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.

“It (the headquarters) helps because people have a place to come in and pick up signs, materials and bumper stickers,” said Pete Couladis, chairman of the Athens County Republican Party. “We will even have meetings and other social events there.”

At any given time, the new headquarters has one or two people working.

“Depending on the number of volunteers we will get, that number could change,” Couladis said. “But currently the people at the office serve as resources to the public and help them (the public) with absentee ballots, change of address forms, or any of their questions and concerns.”

Last Friday, the Athens County Republican Party had a grand opening of the headquarters with about 25 people in attendance and an appearance by Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted.

“We had about 25 people there and we hoped for more people but he (Husted) couldn’t stick around all afternoon so we scheduled it earlier to fit with his schedule.” Couladis said.

Husted addressed the public on the significance of registering to vote.

“(Husted’s) visit was really good and he mainly talked about the importance of getting people to vote and how easy it is to do so,” Couladis said.

Ryan Dilworth, president of the OU College Republicans, said getting people to vote is important, but ensuring that those voters are educated is imperative also.

“One of the worst things people do is vote uneducated,” Dilworth said.

“I think it is important that people know candidates and know and research their (the candidates’) beliefs.”

Dilworth also said that he believes the headquarters serves as a great place for local residents to ask questions about the campaign and pick up information to learn more about the Republican candidates.

With the opening of the headquarters, Couladis said he thinks people are paying more attention to the election.

“Everything is going well locally, and I think that nationally things are going well too,” Couladis said. “I am feeling good about the election and we will see what will happen.”

bc822010@ohiou.edu