Court Street construction could finish before Sept. 14 deadline

The construction project that has North Court Street closed to traffic is slated to be finished ahead of schedule and under budget.

The project, which is replacing a storm tunnel under the street, could come in about $30,000 under its $460,000 budget and before its Sept. 14 deadline, said Andy Stone, director of Athens Engineering and Public Works.

“It’s going as well as can be expected, given the challenges to be expected replacing a very deep, very old storm tunnel,” Stone said.

The street remains closed from Rose Alley to Carpenter Street and traffic is being detoured around the area. Sidewalks might also temporarily  be closed.

“The storm tunnel being repaired is very deep and very old and could be a safety issue,” said Councilwoman Chris Knisely, D-At Large. “It should be done by Sept. 14, so we ask that you be patient with us and keep visiting the businesses on Court Street.”

The project includes replacing the current storm tunnel under North Court Street near Fern Alley, reconstructing the brick pavement on North Court Street from Carpenter Street to Fern Alley and also repairing other sections of the storm sewer. The project also covers sidewalk repairs on East State Street, Grosvenor Street, Franklin Street and Morris Avenue.

“The southern half of that block is open in order to access the on-street parking and businesses,” said Stone. “We are doing our best to keep those businesses open.”

Business between West State Street and Carpenter Street will stay open during the project.

“Court Street can only be closed for the project until Sept. 14, but we’re thinking it will be done beforehand,” Stone said.