Interim director named for Center for International Studies

Ming Li will take over as interim executive director for the Center for International Studies while the university conducts a national search for a permanent director.

The former executive director of the center, Daniel Weiner, took a new position in Connecticut to be closer to his family and to pursue a job as vice provost for international affairs at the University of Connecticut.

“I’m excited about the opportunity,” Li said. “I look forward to working with the faculty and staff at the center to advance international education at Ohio University.”

In 2002, Li came to OU as the director of the School of Recreation and Sports Sciences. When the school reorganized its academic classes, he was moved to chair of sports administration in the School of Business.

Li was chosen for the interim director position because of his international experience and long tenure at OU leading an academic department, according to a university news release.

As interim director, Li will recieve a $10,097 annual pay raise to $132,000 for the next academic year, acording to Anita Leach, an assistant in the office of Executive Vice President and Provost Pam Benoit. That is $8,415 less than Weiner's salary during his fourth year as executive director for the center.

"The goal I have is to continue the center's forward momentum and undertake initiatives that are strategically important to this university,” Li said. “I will rely on the competent faculty and staff at the center, and I am determined to give the faculty and staff at the center the support they need to  achieve their goals.”

wh092010@ohiou.edu