Local hubs that boast CHIP-approved menus include Kaiser's; Casa; Louie, Louie; Farmacy

In many ways, the opening of a new semester parallels the crazed beginning of Spring Quarter with its epidemic of New-Year’s-resolution health consciousness, resulting in all of Ping Center’s elliptical machines being constantly occupied.

As first-years try to ward off the Freshman 15 and upperclassmen concentrate on shedding it, a local program aims to help make their goals a reality.

The Complete Health Improvement Program is a “lifestyle enrichment program designed to reduce disease risk factors through the adoption of better health habits and appropriate lifestyle modifications,” according to its website.

Ruth Dudding, who helped implement the program in Athens, asserts that lifestyle is a more prominent factor in the state of a person’s health than family history.

Through the following programs and more, the Complete Health Improvement Program aims to plant the seed of healthy living in the psyches of both Ohio University students and Athens’ permanent residents.

“We see a vast improvement in the health of people who participated in the program,” Dudding said.

Participants have their cholesterol, weight and blood pressure measured to allow their progress to be tracked during the seven weeks by comparing pre- and post-screenings.

Through 16 classes — such as “Eat More and Weigh Less” and “The Magic of Fiber” — pupils gain tools and knowledge they need to lead healthier lives.

In addition to the classes, the program works with local eateries to create menus that promote health without always having to prepare your own meals. Criteria for approved menu items include whole grains, low sugar and salt content, plenty of vegetables and protein with low cholesterol, Dudding said.

“In Athens, we have an environment that supports these behaviors easily,” Dudding said.

af116210@ohiou.edu