Moonlight paddle features blue moon spectacle

Some might say the opportunity to kayak by moonlight only comes once in a blue moon.

Well the opportunity has arrived, blue moon and all.

The Athens County Convention and Visitors Bureau is hosting a full moon paddle at Strouds Run State Park Thursday from 7-9:30 p.m. Participants will kayak as the sun sets and watch the moon rise.

“It is a gentle, slow paddle; we probably only cover up to four miles, so not very far,” said Mimi Morrison, the event organizer. “We get into the water, paddle out, watch the end of the sunset to the west and then we paddle to the east as dusk settles in and watch the moon rise.”

Margaret Quamme of Lancaster said she has been on several paddles and watching the sunset is often taken for granted.

“You watch the day change to night and you see lights from the fireflies and the moon rise and shine on the water, all while hearing the insect sounds and the bird sounds while they transition from day to night birds,” she said. “I would absolutely recommend it.”

Though the full moon paddles are scheduled for several times a month during the summer, Thursday night offers the rare treat of a blue moon.

A blue moon has nothing to do with the hue of the moon’s appearance, but rather its timing. A blue moon occurs when there are two full moons in a calendar month, according to the Farmers’ Almanac website.

The event only occurs on average about once every three years, giving credence to the phrase “once in a blue moon.”

The full moon paddle can suit just about anyone, even if you only kayak once in a blue moon.

“I had never kayaked before,” said Maggie Heban, a resident of Columbus who has paddled before. “Mimi is a wonderful instructor and made everyone feel safe and comfortable.”

The full moon paddle is a group event, usually consisting of 10 to 15 people, almost always with students from Ohio University, Morrison said.

“It is always different,” Morrison said “Once I had a group of single people and no one knew each other, but some paddles consist of several couples. You can even set up a private group paddle as an event for a club or society.”

The event costs $40 for a kayak and a paddle and includes a guided program, refreshments and lanterns.

“I would absolutely recommend it,” said Heban. “I’ve driven from Columbus just for the paddle. It’s just magical; there’s nothing like being on the water with the sun setting and the birds chirping and the world quiet and peaceful. And then the moon comes up and sparkles on the water and it’s just magical.”

cw105510@ohiou.edu