Survey finds college visits not so innocent

Editor’s Note: An Ohio University student’s last name has been withheld to protect her privacy.

While OU students were partying during the spring fest season, a study was released that suggested this year’s freshmen might be partying at the school months before they move in.

The study, conducted by ORC International Inc. for the Center for Adolescent Research and Education at Susquehanna University and Students Against Destructive Decisions, surveyed 1,070 teens nationally between 16 and 19 years old, including high-school students and those in college about college visits.

Results showed 16 percent of those who had been on an overnight college visit said they drank during the visit, while 17 percent engaged in sex or “other intimate sexual behavior.” Another 5 percent of students reported using drugs during the visit, according to the study.

“The facts are that the earlier young people use alcohol and drugs, the more likely it is they will develop lifelong problems with dependency,” said Stephen Gray Wallace, senior advisor for SADD’s national organization.

The study was not state or college-type specific, but can be used as a sample that can be extrapolated to the larger number of high-school students who stay overnight on college visits, Wallace added.

“We do host one overnight program that doesn’t include parental participation, but that program is highly chaperoned by a group of (university supervisors),” said Candace Boeninger, assistant vice provost for enrollment management and director of Undergraduate Admissions.

Several students who attended Bobcat Student Orientation said they witnessed inappropriate behavior in the dorms during their stay overnight.

“I’m a recovering addict and alcoholic, and honestly, it made me worry about my decision to go to Ohio University,” said Lexi, a freshman studying journalism who attended orientation and witnessed partying. “All night everyone was either smoking joints or trying to find alcohol … it was annoying. I think of it as an ice-breaker and instant bond for some people.”

Other students, however, didn’t witness anything illegal as they familiarized themselves with OU.

“I really liked (orientation). I felt a better instinctive connection than with other places,” said Peter Vilardi, a freshman studying media arts and studies.

While he was not exposed to drinking, sex or drugs at orientation, Vilardi added that he enjoyed the experience and stayed in Sargent Hall on West Green.

No judicial instances came to attention at this year’s orientation, according to Jennifer Klein, the director of Bobcat Student Orientation, adding that there was only one situation that arose last year.

“Risks aside, college visits remain an important staple of the higher education selection process,” Wallace said. “But parents, teens and especially colleges must share responsibility for keeping young people safe during the sampling process.”

dd195710@ohiou.edu