Wayne National Forest supervisors conclude fracking plan is sound

Supervisors of the Wayne National Forest have decided the plan it currently has in place to regulate hydraulic fracturing is sufficient to prevent environmental damage.

Following a deluge of petitions for further investigation into the potential environmental effects of “fracking,” forest administrators halted plans to allow the controversial drilling practice to occur inside the forest until further studies were conducted.

After forest officials conducted a “Supplemental Information Report,” which outlines possible effects of fracking on the forest, they decided not to change the current policy, which is laid out in the 2006 “Forest Plan.” The policy analyzes the effects of outside influences, such as oil and mineral extraction, said Anne Carey, supervisor of the Wayne National Forest.

The Bureau of Land Management estimates that over the next four years, there is potential for 13 high-volume horizontal drilling sites in the more than 240,000-acre forest, according to a news release.

The estimates are not guarantees of drilling activity, Carey said.

“In 2006 (the BLM) projected more than 200 vertical wells could be built in the forest, but since then there have only been 12,” Carey said. “That’s just their guess; it’s an educated guess, but when you take that with the 12 vertical wells, it’s far less.”

There are currently no applications for a horizontal drilling project in the forest, Carey said, adding that the main motivation behind conducting the Supplemental Information Report was the prevalence of drilling in Northeast

Ohio, as well as concerns regarding mineral rights.

Wayne National Forest regulates drilling on a case-by-case basis to make sure a well is not on a steep slope or historic site. The forest also keeps track of erosion and the effects on wildlife and vegetation, Carey said.

Forest administrators made a premature decision, said Al Blazevicius, chair of the Strategic Advisory Committee on Hydraulic Fracturing. Blazevicius said he has been reaching out to local residents who say fracking takes up more space than forest officials are estimating.

“My main problem with the report is that I fear that they have underestimated the size and impact of horizontal fracturing,” Blazevicius said. “I think they’re working based (on) presumption.”

Despite concern from local residents, including the Athens City Council, Wayne National Forest has about 1,300 vertical oil and gas wells in the park owned by both the private sector and the federal government, according to Wayne National Forest documents.

“We’re no stranger to oil and gas extraction,” said Gary Chancey, a spokesman for the forest.

Mayor Paul Wiehl agreed with others’ concerns because Athens and the city’s water supply are downstream from Wayne National Forest.

“Athens isn’t in the primary fracking area,” Wiehl said. “My hope is that (drilling companies) make mistakes elsewhere before drilling comes here.”

Laura Scheer contributed to this story.

ld311710@ohiou.edu