Gene Harris (right), chairwoman of the Ohio University Board of Trustees, has announced that she will retire from her position as superintendent of the Columbus City Schools. Harris has worked with the district for 37 years. (Kara Frisna | File)

Columbus City Schools superintendent steps down after 3 decades

Gene Harris, superintendent of Columbus City Schools and chairwoman of the Ohio University Board of Trustees, is retiring from her day job.

Harris announced Thursday afternoon she will step down from her position as superintendent July 1.

“I’m honored to have served our students and district for 37 years, 35 as part of the Columbus City Schools,” Harris said in a news release. “It has meant the world to me.”

The announcement was made at Garfield Elementary School, where Harris attended as a child. She later moved on to begin teaching in the same school district in 1975, according to the news release.

Harris has been superintendent of Columbus City Schools since 2001. The school district is the largest in Ohio, with more than 50,000 students and more than 7,700 employees, according to the district’s website.

Harris was appointed as the OU Board of Trustees’ chairwoman, replacing C. Robert Kidder, at the board’s June 22 meeting, according to a previous Post article.

“Dr. Harris is a deeply valued member of our Board of Trustees and also a proud alumna of Ohio University,” said OU President Roderick McDavis in a statement. “Though her term ends in 2013 coinciding with her planned retirement, we hope she won’t be a stranger to her alma mater … We wish her nothing but the best in her retirement.”

Harris received a Ph.D. in educational administration from OU in 1999, according to a previous Post article.

“Dr. Harris’ decision to retire and its impact on her role as chair, it does not affect her service,” said Jennifer Kirksey, McDavis’ chief of staff. “She will continue as chair of our Board of Trustees through the end of her term, which will be complete in Spring 2013.”

dd195710@ohiou.edu