Country music award winner to perform at OU

Chris Young will leave the “neon” lights of big cities behind to bring a little country to Ohio University Thursday at the Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium.

Young, the 2012 American Country Music award winner for Male Vocalist of the Year, will perform with opener Joanna Smith as part of the Campus Involvement Center and Division of Student Affair’s Performing Arts and Concert Series.

Young has released five consecutive No. 1 singles and is a Grammy-nominated artist. He recently released his third studio album NEON, which debuted at No. 4.

Country is just part of the wide variety of genres that the Campus Involvement Center aims to include when it books the annual concert series.

“We try to program a Performing Arts and Concert Series that is eclectic as our student and Athens community,” said Andrew Holzaepfel, associate director of the Campus Involvement Center. “Country is just part of the overall equation.”

Country, however, has led to some of the more attended concerts, he said.

“There is definitely a large demand for country among our students,” Holzaepfel said. “These shows tend to be some of our most successful.”

$25,000 dollars was budgeted for Young’s contract fee, Holzaepfel said, a cost that has been completely covered by ticket sales. Holzaepfel said he also is optimistic about the at-the-door ticket sales.

“We usually have a nice walk-up for all our Performing Arts and Concert Series events,” he said. “I expect the same for Chris Young. (He) will be a wonderful kick-off to the 2012-13 Concert Series.”

Tickets will be sold for $55 for the first 10 rows and $25 for the remainder.

eb104010@ohiou.edu