Donor considers funds for new presidential residence

Ohio University President Roderick McDavis might be the first to break a 60-year tradition of living on Park Place.

The Ohio University Board of Trustees released a statement Wednesday about potential changes for the president’s residence.

A university donor has conveyed interest in either buying or building a new residence or renovating 29 Park Place, McDavis’ current home.

“A donor has expressed an interest in a gift designated for the president’s residence — either renovation or new build,” the trustees’ statement reads. “The board will be exploring options after further discussions with the donor.”

“There has been a lot of discussion on campus about a new president’s residence,” Student Trustee Allison Arnold said in a statement. “I understand the student, faculty and community interest on the topic in regards to cost, location and other relevant details. As the board receives more information, I will work to keep all students and interested people informed.”

The release elicited reactions from university officials.

“The president and Mrs. McDavis are aware of the donor’s interest and the board will be exploring options after further discussions with the donor,” said Renea Morris, OU’s executive director of Communications and Marketing.

OU bought the current house in 1951 for $60,000, and it has housed seven OU presidents since, according to a previous Post article.

The house is currently valued at $926,050, according to the Athens County Auditor’s Office.

dd195710@ohiou.edu