Taylor Brown fights a Miami University attacker during the MAC semi-finals at Pruitt Field. Ohio won 1-0 against Miami on Nov. 4 and continued to win the tournament after the final game against Kent State. The Bobcats beat the Golden Flashes 2-1 in overtime. (Maddie Meyer | File Photo)

Field Hockey: Ohio prepares for matchup with Ohio State 'like it's any other team'

Ohio State will make the trek to Athens on Wednesday having proved itself against three nationally ranked teams so far this season. Ohio, which was blanked by its only top-tier foe in 2012, will look to send the Buckeyes packing with their second-straight series loss.

The teams are familiar with one another, as they scrimmaged in late August. Ohio assistant coach Pam Spuehler feels the pitch will be filled with two largely different teams than when they met three weeks ago, however.

“We definitely learned a lot from the scrimmage, but both teams have changed a lot in those few weeks,” she said. “We take what we can away from that game through film, but from now on it’s going to be a lot of energy and playing hard. You can take a little away, but not too much.”

But it’s not just the scrimmage that makes these teams very familiar. One of Ohio coach Neil Macmillan’s assistant coaches from last year, Kelly Terwilliger, joined the Buckeyes’ coaching staff in the same role during the offseason.

“Obviously Ohio and Ohio State is a pretty big game,” Macmillan said. “We know a lot about their team. We know a lot about their players … There’s a lot of fun rivalry in that matchup.”

Ohio defeated then-sixth-ranked Ohio State 2-1 in Columbus last season, beating them for the first time since 2007. The thought that the Buckeyes could be coming in with a bit of extra intensity after last season’s loss doesn’t concern Spuehler, however.

“Every year, no matter what game, we’re gunning for each other,” she said. “I’m sure they’ll have a little chip on their shoulder, but we actually haven’t even talked about that at all in our preparation. I think the girls are focused on another year and another game.”

In terms of match preparation, it’s just another night on the pitch for senior Taylor Brown.

“I think we’re preparing just like it’s any other team,” she said. “Obviously we have those details about Ohio State that’ll ready us for them, but we’re just working on our press and different offensive strategies.”

Labeled as a “blackout” on the schedule, the game stands out not only because of the natural rivalry between the schools, but also the recent success of both programs.

Ohio is coming off a Mid-American Conference championship, while Ohio State has made the NCAA tournament in each of the past three seasons.

“We’ve played them plenty of times in the past and it’s always a great rivalry,” Spuehler said. “And no matter who’s ranked higher, it’s always a great match. We’ve been mentally preparing and we’re ready to go. We have some great tactics and are going to throw out some new things at them.”

ch203310@ohiou.edu