Healthier options make new food truck unique

The new food truck on the block, Not Guilty, plans on winning customers over with their innocent, healthy menu items.

While owner Jay Wamsley doesn’t have the nutrition facts at hand, he prides himself on his fresh ingredients. All of Wamsley’s ingredients are purchased from local bakeries and farms.

“By using whole grains and local fruits and vegetables, we are able to make much healthier menu items,” Wamsley said.

Wamsley, who co-owns the business with his wife, Donna, a dietician at Hocking College, had been thinking about opening up a food truck for some time.

“We’ve talked about doing this for a while and decided to now that I retired,” Wamsley said. “We saw good examples of food trucks down in Austin, Texas and based ours off of things we noticed down there.”

Wamsley’s truck first opened up during the summer. Not Guilty serves breakfast sandwiches, grilled lunch sandwiches and smoothies. When the weather cools, Wamsley said he plans to serve soup as well.

The food truck’s hours are from 8 a.m.-2 p.m., although Wamsley said he will occasionally stay open a little later.

Some of the more popular menu items include the City-Light Sandwich, which consists of bacon, Monterrey jack cheese, and a jalapeño-apricot relish, as well as the Grilled Elvis, which consists of your choice of peanut butter or Nutella and banana.

Margeaux Dennis, a junior studying chemistry, thinks that a healthier food truck option will prove very successful amongst the college kids in Athens.

“I didn’t go to the food trucks because they weren’t very healthy,” Dennis said. “I think a healthy option would be very beneficial, especially to those worried about gaining the Freshman 15.”

The day-to-day operations of a food truck entail more than one would think, Wamsley said.

“I think Athens is a great place to run a food truck in because of how much availability they have for vendors to operate them. I would be surprised if more don’t do it,” he said.

Wamsley is also close with the other vendors in the area and is excited for what the future will bring to the business.

“I don’t think we (the vendors) are competing,” Wamsley said. “We all serve different foods and cater to different markets. We are all friends and we help each other out. I hope more open up.”

as299810@ohiou.edu