Ohio freshman Sarah Kollin buys apples from John Gillogly at Ohio University’s mini Farmer’s Market. The mini Farmer’s Market held on Sept. 7 was the first of four to take place at Howard Park. (SARAH KRAMER | For The Post)

Mini market returns, expands

Local produce and baked goods made a return to Ohio University’s campus during the weekend.

The first of four mini Farmers Markets took place last Friday in Howard Park, located on the corner of College and Union Street, hosting 16 vendors of all different types.

Tracy Kelly, former president of Graduate Student Senate, organized the market after holding two successful markets last year.

Kelly said she has spent the past two summers contacting different vendors and passing out flyers at the Athens Farmers Market in preparation for the mini markets that have quickly gained popularity.

“Now I get contacted by people wanting to participate,” Kelly said. “People have heard by word-of-mouth how successful it’s become and I think it’s great.”

Maureen Burns-Hooker, owner of Herbal Sage Tea Company, has been a vendor at the Athens Farmers Market for 12 years and participated at each of the mini markets on campus.

“It’s been a good market and it’s about the local food movement and students should see more of it,” Burns-Hooker said. “Athens is very rich in food. We want to introduce students to good eating and local foods. I think that’s really our mission here.”

Rebecca Perkins, daughter of the owner of Sassafras Farm located 12 miles outside of Athens, said she the market is important to students that do not have the opportunity to travel.

“We’re doing it to bring local foods to students who can’t get out to the Athens Market on East State Street,” Perkins said.

Many students took advantage of Friday’s market and said they look forward to the next.

“I hope this will be a regular thing. I loved picking up local produce and goods on my way home from class,” said Kaleigh Noel, a senior studying

music therapy.

Kelly plans to hold a total of four mini markets this year, with the next scheduled for Oct. 12 at Howard Park, according to the Facebook event.

“We reserved all the meters out of pocket for the vendors to park and they paid us back,” Kelly said. “We’re doing it as a ‘not for profit’ kind of thing and the vendors are very excited to come back.” 

jb351009@ohiou.edu

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; text-align: justify; font: 8.5px Utopia}