Nation's Vice President to make appearence in Athens

Vice President Joe Biden will be in Athens Saturday to discuss the implications of November’s election on the middle class.

The doors of the Athens Community Center will open at 1:30 p.m. and the event will begin at 3:30 p.m. Saturday.

“The Vice President will lay out … the choice between continuing to move forward to an economy built to last that’s grounded in a strong middle class, or going back to the same ‘top-down’ economic policies of the last decade that crashed our economy and punished the middle class,” Obama for America spokeswoman Jessica Kershaw wrote in an email.

Tickets for the event are free and will be available Thursday and Friday online and in Baker University Center room 356 on a first-come-first-serve basis from 12 p.m. – 6 p.m.

In addition, tickets will be available at both of the Ohio for Obama offices at 8 N. Court St. and 1005 East State St. from 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.

Ohio University College Democrats have sprung into action in preparation for the event, said President Shannon Welch.

“The OU College Democrats are extremely excited for this event with Vice President Joe Biden,” Welch wrote in an email. “Ohio University and Athens, OH are very lucky to have this event, and we are excited to see many students in attendance.”

Attendees should expect to encounter security similar to airports and are advised to bring as few personal affects as possible. Objects including bags, sharp object, umbrellas, liquids or signs will not be permitted. However, cameras will be allowed.

Limited parking will also be available and shuttles from the OU campus will be provided.

“I feel like, in some ways, I’m a lot like him,” said Tim McVey, a junior at OU studying political science and history. “Of course I’m excited about him coming to campus and I wish I could talk to him … He’s a guy that I model myself after.”

Stay tuned to The Post for more information about the event throughout the day.

lf328610@ohiou.edu