Vice President Joe Biden speaks in front of a crowd of 675 people during a rally in Athens on Saturday. (Brien Vincent | Staff Photographer)

'Never ever, ever, ever...bet against the American people'

Vice President Joe Biden repeated the mantra of the Obama for America campaign to a crowd of hundreds during the Athens rally on Saturday.

Biden said he and Obama will protect Medicare, support veterans, continue financial aid for students, bolster women’s rights and expand the middle class.

The 675-person crowd packed into the Athens Community Center and spilled out into the hallways.

Biden began his speech by telling about his last visit to Athens 49 years ago for a football game between Ohio University and the University of Delaware, Biden’s alma mater.

“We beat you Bobcats 29–12,” he said. “I made sure I didn’t get arrested (while in Athens), but I almost did.”

Biden spoke for about 26 minutes, but it didn’t take long for him to begin attacking his Republican opponents, Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan.

“What they aren’t telling you is that the policies they put in place are the same ones that got us in this position today,” he said.

He criticized Romney’s support for tax cuts to the wealthy, saying Republicans rejected attempts to lower the national debt and will send jobs overseas.

“Don’t tell me what you value,” Biden said. “Show me your budget, and I’ll tell you what you value.”

The number of students supported by Pell Grants has increased from 6 million to 9 million, which could change with different leadership, Biden said.

“We will promote the private sector, not the privileged sector,” he said.

Biden then said he will continue to support medical benefits for veterans and expand women’s rights.

He closed by reiterating the campaign’s mantra of “growing an economy from the middle out, not the top down.”

“I’ve got a message for Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan: It’s never ever, ever, ever been a good bet to bet against the American people.”

rc348710@ohiou.edu