OB-GYN to provide 'specialized scope' of services at Campus Care

In addition to Campus Care’s existing women’s health services, the student health center is adding a part-time OB-GYN.

Jane Broeker, who completed a fellowship in pediatric and adolescent gynecology at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, will provide gynecological services to students every other Friday from 1–5 p.m., starting Friday.  

“It’s taken me about nine years to get my foot in the door up at Campus Care,” said Broeker, who also works at River Rose Obstetrics and Gynecology, located in the Castrop Center at O’Bleness Medical Park.

According to the center’s website, previous to the addition of Broeker, Campus Care offered free testing for certain STIs, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, HIV and herpes,. The center also made free counseling available to students.

Broeker, who noted that the facility has not had a certified gynecologist for many years, said she hopes to expand the spectrum of services available to students.

“I provide a specialized scope for gynecological services,” Broeker said. “Anything from a routine pelvic exam to someone who needs surgery for endometriosis or has pelvic floor pain.”

Previously, students who experienced problems such as an abnormal pap smear or required a surgery consult were referred by Campus Care to alternative places in Athens. Broeker will be available to students during her Campus Care office hours, which she plans to expand in the future.

“Instead of having someone being referred, this will be really convenient,” said John Kemerer, Campus Care medical director. “We’re excited to have her help us help the students.”

Students who have private health insurance can visit Broeker at both locations. Students with OU health insurance, however, must first consult with Broeker at Campus Care for the visit to be covered. If a student requires surgery, Broeker will perform it at O’Bleness.

Kemerer said the services Broeker provides will be fully covered by OU’s health insurance.

“OU students often keep their home gynecologists, which will not help in case of an emergency,” Broeker said. “That Monday morning after Halloween weekend when they may have done something that they shouldn’t have, or a lesion, or an acute gynecological problem they can’t go back to Cleveland to see their doctor. They need to see somebody here.”

Broeker said she also aims to raise awareness of alternate forms of birth control like the Mirena IUD.    

“We’ll have to see what other services students need,” Kemerer said. “More than half of our students are women, so this is the best way to help them.”

eb104010@ohiou.edu