Open mic invites audience to new location

Laughter emanating from Baker University Center’s first-floor lounge is becoming common on Saturday nights.

Athens Open Mic, a regular program run by Blue Pencil Comedy, invites aspiring comedians to try their luck on a stage in front of a live audience every Saturday at 8 p.m.

Though the program previously hosted its shows in The Front Room, they have taken their jokes to the newly renovated Bobcat Student Lounge on the first floor of Baker Center.

Zac Coleman, president of Blue Pencil Comedy, said he was open to the change.

“It is a really nice stage, and sound travels, and you don’t have to worry about coffee machines during our sets,” Coleman said.

Blue Pencil was encouraged by Brian Heilmeier, coordinator for campus programming, to hold the open mic in the new lounge space, which boasts a new stage and sound system.

“The main reason (behind the move) was because they were really successful in Front Room. To be completely honest with you, they’ve had a great turn-out,” Heilmeier said. “We wanted to take our and the students staple programs that have been really successful and try to put them in there to build a crowd.”

There were some concerns when it came to moving to the new location. Ryan Gabos, a sophomore studying video production and a regular open-mic comedian, said he thinks the move has some people confused about where to show up for the weekly event.

Even with those concerns, however, Coleman said that attendance for the first two shows of the year has been strong, though he said Blue Pencil wants the audience to feel more comfortable in the larger space.

Despite the length of the room, both Coleman and Heilmeier felt that it was an advantage to be in the lounge, because of the ability to host a larger crowd.

Coleman said he thinks that Blue Pencil will stay in the Bobcat Student Lounge for at least the remainder of the semester to host the open-mic shows as well as a different Blue Pencil program held Tuesday nights that feature a touring comedian.

Regardless of where the open mic is, Coleman said the main goal of both Blue Pencil and Heilmeier is to ensure there are shows for people who are interested in doing stand-up comedy.

ds834910@ohiou.edu