Post Column: Second attempt at marriage loses some charm

Rekindling old flames or simply old flames rekindling? Recently, a New York couple decided to tie the knot after being divorced for 48 years. Lena Henderson and Roland Davis divorced back in 1964, but this was only the beginning of their unorthodox love story.

Henderson and Davis met in Chattanooga, Tenn., when they were just teens. These two lovebirds clearly stood the test of time — minus 50 years or so.

Davis, who had remarried and moved to Colorado, entertained the idea of patching things up after his most recent wife passed away. Just months later, he decided to propose to Henderson.

Henderson said, “We were talking on the phone one day and he said, ‘Will you marry me, again?’ I said ‘Well, well … yes.’ ”

And while many gush about this “fairy-tale romance,” I can’t help but be the least bit concerned. Is this proof that our failed relationships are never really over? Moreover, does this mean that we’re never really over them?

Honestly, at 85, I’ll just be pushing for a Social Security check and a mobility scooter. I doubt that I’ll be concerning myself with extravagant wedding plans. But these two are still hell-bent on not being alone.

I suppose no one wants to be alone, but at 85 does it really even matter? Before you know it, you’ll be in your nineties, with nothing to show for it besides a receding hairline and a Life Alert.

On the more comforting side, this paves the way for rebounders everywhere. I mean, could Henderson not see that she was a total rebound? It’s not as if Davis had a moment of clarity and decided he was madly in love with her — his other wife died.

Davis wasted no time in proposing to Henderson. For such a “romantic story”, don’t you think he could have at least pulled a “Noah” and written to her?  

It seems as though our elders are now utilizing technology not only to call their grandchildren, but also to propose to estranged ex-spouses. And our generation is the technology-addicted, out-of-touch one? 

So, what does this mean for us? What does our generation have to look forward to when we are 85? I certainly hope something more then telephoned marriage proposals, although the Social Security fund is looking pretty grim these days.

In today’s day and age, can we ever really escape our past?  Can we ever truly be disconnected from our failed relationships and loves? With all of the technology today, it seems as though we are forever linked — whether it be virtually or physically.

That either means one of two things: I really need to be more careful about who I give my number to when I go out, or I already need to get a new one.

Nonetheless, I’m happy for Henderson and Davis. May they find eternal happiness in their rebounding bliss. Cheers!

Casey Compernolle is a junior studying journalism at Ohio University. Are you on a 50-year rebound? Email her at cc150709@ohiou.edu.