via Melanie Brown

Sallie Ford & The Sound Outside bring 'energetic' music to Union

Hot off their 2012 Nelsonville Music Festival appearance, Sallie Ford & The Sound Outside are set to make their first appearance to the Uptown music scene of Athens.

The internationally touring group has played alongside such artists as The Avett Brothers, Larry and His Flask, and Wanda Jackson, and this Sunday the band will play at The Union, 18 W. Union St., at 8 p.m.

In January, the band recorded a new album, Untamed Beast, which is slated for release this upcoming January.

“We always get pinned for being a retro band,” said Sallie Ford, lead singer. “(The new album) is more rough and wild … I want to make rock ‘n’ roll music with all the energy.”

Ford said she classifies the band within the genre of rock ‘n’ roll but believes that genres are becoming a thing of the past as different styles meld together.

“I like rock ‘n’ roll because it’s simple music that a lot of people can relate to,” Ford said. “It’s about having fun and dancing.”

Many of the local and national female acts tend to play folk or pop music, but Ford intends to stand out by playing hip-moving rock.

“It’s fun to play music that women are not typically a part of,” Ford said. “It’s also a message of portraying females in a different light than women of my generation are usually portrayed in.”

Sallie Ford & The Sound Outside is the first of several bigger national acts that Scott Winland, booking agent for The Union, is hoping to bring to Athens this year.

Winland said in an email that Sallie Ford is only the start, with other acts such as Judson Claiborne, Jaill, Fergus & Geronimo, Mike Watt, White Mystery, Bob Log III, Rocket from the Tombs, and Killer Mike coming to The Union this year.

“We’re really excited about Sallie’s show,” Winland said via email. “It’s such a great lineup from start to finish.”

wh092010@ohiou.edu