Southeast Engine via Noah Rabinowitz

Southeast Engine's tunes to return to Casa Nueva stage

Athens independent music heroes Southeast Engine will bring their rollicking folk rock back to Casa Nueva Thursday night with their first show this school year in their hometown.

Southeast Engine — made up of Adam Remnant on lead vocals and guitar; Leo Deluca on drums; Jesse Remnant on bass and vocals; and Bill Matheny on keyboard, banjo and guitar — are playing in support of a new EP titled Canaanville, which was released in July of this year.

The EP is a continuation of the theme from the band’s album Canary, released last year,which focused on a Depression-era family and the struggles they faced.

“Canaanville was founded primarily as a coal-mining town. We were examining the economy of the coal mine, and what happens when it shuts down, as well as what life is like for the people that stay,” Adam said in reference to EP’s namesake, a town just outside Athens.

“Look for a lot of material from both Canaanville and Canary at the show, but also expect ‘some older songs and some fan favorites,’ ” Adam said. “Casa is a great place to unleash the rock side of Southeast Engine; it is inspiring to us.”

Joining Southeast Engine is Tim Pritchard and the Boxcar Suite.

“I’ve been friends with those guys for a long time; we all grew up in Dayton and most of them moved out to Athens, going to school, and I had a band in Dayton, and we used to trade shows a lot,” Pritchard said.

Tim Pritchard and the Boxcar Suite is a new project for Pritchard, who just released an album earlier this year titled It Shall be Revealed. It inhabits the same vein of folk-influenced rock music as Southeast Engine.

Both Remnant and Pritchard said they were especially interested in coming and having a good time with the crowd.

“That’s what it comes down to here — we’re all in this room together,” Adam said. “Let’s make the most of it. We have the home field advantage. The crowd is on our side.”

ds834910@ohiou.edu